Saturday, January 10, 2009

Memories as we move on

Life has returned to normal again, at least a "new" normal now that I only have one parent-in-law. The calling hours & funeral were such a mix of sadness and joy and humor. The outpouring of visitors and their reminiscences of Arnold for 3 hours were so touching. I hadn't seen my brother Tom since his car accident in November, and there he was at the funeral home, hobbling in on his crutches after a several-hour drive. He & my sister said they just had to be there for us. Wow. That's when I finally started getting teary. And old grudges were put aside for the occasion as well, it wasn't the time or place for any silent treatments. My 3-yr-old son seemed to intuitively realize his role was to provide the distracting entertainment, if I had a dime for every time someone remarked to me how cute and charming and funny he was!
Here are some pictures of Arnold with his grandchildren, baby Alison ("Ali") on the bottom and baby Eric ("Ricky") on the top:

No comments: